1/14/14

Yolanda - Supertyphoon, Super Blessing



Yes, I'd like to call it that way.

It is more than a month since the Supertyphoon Yolanda hit our place. I realize, indeed, it brought us super disaster but at the same time, super blessing.

The first thing that came to my mind is an island near our place. After the typhoon all the houses there became new and almost uniform. All fishermen were given new fishing boats with an imported motor.

Many shanty houses improved after the typhoon. Like before, their roof were only made of nipa now it is  made of GI sheets. Many of it came flying on the street during the typhoon and so they just picked them all up and used for their houses.

Just like all the shanty houses around, our kitchen was roofless too. Unfortunately up to this date, it hasn't changed. It is presently under renovation. The blessing in here is that I got financial help from the company I work for.

I also got one of my many wishes, that is, to be a volunteer giving relief goods to typhoon victims. Boy, it was amazing. Very nice feeling. Handing those goods and making people smile. I didn't even notice that most of them didn't say thank you until some thanked me! And it felt better. Ah..it really was different.

I felt sorry for those people especially the senior citizens lining up, waited hours for us to come, and what we gave was, for me,  not really enough for them. It seemed not worth the wait. But it was better than nothing at all.  I wish I have more so I can personally give more in times like those.

To each of the families, many beautiful things happened to them too, like healing of relationship. It also showed the real character of a Filipinio, resilient, persevering, helping one another and optimistic, that despite all of these that happened, we could still smile and move on.

I think the best blessing was that people became more closer to God. Many turned to God for prayer of supplication and thanksgiving. Although, inevitably, some got angry with God. Many realization came to a lot of people. The revelation of God's saving power for their lives. His providence. To some, conversion. Many people goes to church on Sunday now.

This is what God wants us to, ----- communicate with Him. Talk to Him. Many people could not do so because of the influence of the world. I don't say He intentionally brought us this calamity, definitely not. This disaster is the price of our own doing, too. But everytime, God is always there around us. Ever ready to assist us in our needs, just waiting for our call.

During the feast of the Black Nazarene this month, the long procession was Super crowded with devotees, much crowded than last year. This time, many people from the Visayas who 
were directly affected with the supertyphoon came to join the  million crowd. They were with different reason but more for thanksgiving.

It was something that happened inside everyone that is the best thing that this calamity as brought us. It may not be so nice but as one famous writer said, "Your biggest problem is your biggest blessing."  ...

 .... yes indeed, and SUPER BLESSING!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...