5/10/11

Homing Instinct


baby goat

I once visited a goat farm of a friend. I didn’t really know so much about goats but I was amazed to learn some behaviors of the animal that I didn’t know. One popular behavior is that they hate water and so they don’t take a bath. I remember when we were kids, we are called goats when we refuse to take a bath.  Goats eat only grasses and so their meat  are considered the cleanest. Healthier than pork, beef and chicken meat. But they are rare and more expensive. Goats are great mothers too. Mother goat  may inevitably leave her baby in the morning but it will come back at noon to feed the baby and then leave it again. 

One quality of the animal that caught my attention. Wherever they would be the whole day looking for food, at the end of the day, they will go back to their barn. You don’t have to wait for them or look for them.  They will surely go home before dark.

Homing instinct. I can’t help but find myself familiar with it.

There were not a few times that I have wandered away from God.  I was enjoying my life, my job, my freedom, my comfort and the world itself. It was easy to make justifications to what I do and behave. I thought it was right. I don’t want to give attention to what is ringing in my ears.  As I would continue with my life, I started to notice something that is lacking. I have no satisfaction, I am not happy and at peace. It is disturbing. 

But then I find it impossible for me to ignore it anymore. The constant prompting that is leading me somewhere but I resist to move. Then I realize what was happening to me.
I just knew what to do! I must go back home. If I want to have peace, I must go home.
I believe this is what God has planted in the hearts of those who promised to be in His side. It is like a string had been attached to your neck and if ever you wander away for too long, He will pull that string back to himself to get you back.

This string is His Love that he planted and we permitted to grow in our heart. 

We may forget Him for a moment. We may ignore Him for almost all of our lifetime, but His love, especially when it has grown deep in our hearts, it will surely surface and will drive as back to Him. 

It is up to us then if we respond to it right away, later or never.

His love, how impossible it may be, will definitely find a way to bring us back home safe and sound.

For me, if ever this would happen again I wish I could go home early.

Earlier than the goat.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...